Windows 8 and 8.1 are the version of Windows NT, released by Microsoft and both are slightly different from each other. The main difference between 8 and 8.1 is that Windows 8.1 has more apps as comparison to Windows 8 such as integration of OneDrive, along with it’s under interface tweaks and the addition of expanded tutorials for operating the Windows 8 interface.
Windows 8 is PC operating system designed by Microsoft and is part of the Windows NT family of operating systems. It is being said that it was in development process before the release of Windows 7, its predecessor, in 2009. Windows 8 was officially released on August 1, 2012. Its platform are IA-32, x64, ARMv7 and its Kernel type is Hybrid. It is now competing with two other popular mobile operating systems such as iOS and Android. As comparison to Windows 7, Windows 8 introduced many alterations to operating system’s platform and user interface to enhance its user experience on tablets. It also added supports for USB 3.0, advanced format hard drives, communications and cloud computing system. A lot of new features have been introduced and the existing one in the Windows 7 has been changed by the Microsoft in Windows 8. These features are associated with the safety & security, online services & functionality, Windows Store Apps, developed web browsers, and new desktop interface. At the same time, Microsoft has also removed the various features of the Windows 7 in Windows 8 as well. First of all the traditional Start Menu of Microsoft Windows in no more the part of Windows 8. Then comes the Windows Media Center and DVD-Video in Windows Media Player that are also no more the part of Windows 8. Among a lot of new features and improvement in the existing one, the Windows App Store is being said to the most advanced feature of Windows that enable the users to directly access or purchase the Windows applications from this store. For the first time, Microsoft has introduced two-factor authentication systems that are based in the PINs and picture password system. The security system of Windows named Windows Defenders has also got the extra antivirus capabilities. There is a proper Family Safety system by the name of Parental Control that enables the parents to monitor the online and offline activities on the system.
Windows 8.1 is the upgraded version of Windows 8 and is released by Microsoft. It is regarded as the professional version of Windows 8 and Windows 8 is itself is supposed to be home version. Windows 8.1 was released on August 27, 2013. Its platforms are IA-32, x64, and ARMv7 and its Kernel type is Hybrid. Windows 8.1 has resolved many complaints that were being faced by users in Windows 8. The main improvements include enhancement in start screen feature, extra snap views, extra packed apps, advanced OneDrive integration, Internet Explorer 11, search engine of Bing, revival of Start Button on taskbar and the ability to restore the previous behavior of opening the user’s desktop on login instead of the Start screen. Windows 8.1 is the updated version of the Windows 8. There are two methods of installing the Windows 8.1; a free one and paid one. If you have already installed the Windows 8 then you can enjoy the free copy of Windows 8.1 by getting the update of Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store. However, if you want to directly install the Windows 8.1 then you will be required to purchase the copy of Windows 8.1. In a case of installing the Windows 8.1 updates on the Windows 8, the users will be able to keep all of their Windows settings, personal files, and almost all installed apps. In the case of Windows 7, they will be able to keep personal files only. However, there is nothing for the Windows Vista users and in a case of directly installing the updates on the already installed Windows Vista, the users will be required to boot from media and perform a totally clean installation. A lot of features that were missed by the Microsoft in Windows 8 have been improved to much extent. Windows 81 brings new extended App Apps system in the Start screen option that displays the colored tiles for desktop program shortcuts. Moreover, the options in the PC Settings section have been extended considerably that provide the users with more command and control over the Windows Store and Control Panel.
- Many improvement in Windows 8.1 has been made by Microsoft that includes: start screen feature, extra snap views, extra packed apps, advanced OneDrive integration, Internet Explorer 11, search engine of Bing, revival of Start Button on taskbar and the ability to restore the previous behavior of opening the user’s desktop on login instead of the Start screen.
- In Windows 8.1 the support of advanced technologies such as Miracast streaming, Wi-Fi Direct, high resolution displays and 3D printing has been included that were missing in Windows 8.
- Windows 8 is regarded as the home version while Window 8.1 is regarded as the professional version.
- The OneDrive of Windows 8.1 is more tightened than Windows 8.
- Windows 8 was released on August 1, 2012 while Windows 8.1 was released on August 27, 2013.
- Windows 8.1 is not a ready to install Windows operating system of Microsoft. Before upgrading 8.1, installation of Windows 8 is mandatory.
- Support of Windows 8 is available but the support of Windows 8.1 will be available after January 12, 2016.
- Windows 8.1 startscreen system is more customizable as compared to the Windows 8. It offers the users more variations. While in Windows 8, the users can adjust the startscreen in rectangle and square per each title section only.
- In Windows 8, the users can uninstall one application or program at once while Windows 8.1 support the system for uninstalling multiple apps simultaneously.
- Windows 8 comes with Internet Explorer 10 while Windows 8.1 has Internet Explorer 11.
- Among a lot of feature and new supports the support for advanced format hard drives, USB 3.0, new communication systems and cloud computing are the part of Windows 8. Windows 8.1 has also all these features and functions and provide the extra support in the shape of 3D printing, high resolution, Miracast streaming and Wi-Fi direct as well.
- In Windows 8, there was a messaging app that has been replaced by Skype in Windows 8.1.
- Windows 8 can scale text and GUI elements up to 150 while Windows 8.1 support up to 200%.
- Windows 8 has a proper Windows Store Apps while in Windows 8.1, Microsoft removed the ability of several functions of this store.
- Backup and Restore option that was the part of Windows 8 in form of Windows 7 File Recovery is not the part of Windows 8.1.
- Windows 8 is more user-friendly as compared to the Windows 8.1. It is best for learning the purpose and assist in understanding the Windows 8.1.