Most of the times people are of the view that the types of fragrances are based on the gender which applies them or how they smell, which is not entirely accurate. It is actually the time for which a scent can last and therefore the amount of oil concentration which is added to the whole mixture. Therefore, the main difference between Perfume and Cologne is that the percentage of oil in the total liquid is around 20 to 30% in perfume and around 2 to 4% in Cologne.
|Basis of Distinction||Perfume||Cologne|
|Definition||A fragrant liquid which is made up of several constituents which are usually made up of essential oil extracts from flowers and spices.||An aromatic liquid which is applied on the human body for smell and has a pleasant smell.|
|Oil Concentration||Around 20-30-%.||About 2 to 4%.|
|Founder||Crusaders||Giovanni Maria Farina|
|Origin||Originated from the Italian word parfumare which means to smoke something.||Originated from the German city of Cologne.|
|Production||Started earlier in the 16th century.||Started later in the 1790’s.|
|Time Period||6-8 hours||1-2 hours|
|Form||Spray||Spray and Splash|
The word perfume is defined as a fragrant liquid which is made up of several constituents which are usually made up of essential oil extracts from flowers and spices and are used to give a good smell to a human body. This term has been originated from the Italian word parfumare which means to smoke something for a long time, which was then adopted by the French which converted it into parfum and this became Perfume late in the 16th century. This type of fragrance was not that common in the world until the Crusaders returned from the wars and got to know the process of developing from the middle eastern countries. The main difference between this and other types is that it has a high concentration of oil which is used in the making and is usually around 20 to 30%. This is the reason that the smell lasts for a longer time which can be around 8 hours on average. These were used as drugs in the earlier times because of the intensity but now give rise to some best feelings among people. The end result when it is applied depends on the individual who is wearing it, his body structure, the surrounds and other things. Because of this reason, they are usually preferred by individuals who want to dress for a long time and want to attend meetings. They are generally available in the spray form only and were first developed 2000 years before Christ. It is also costlier than the other types and therefore is used for special occasions.
It is defined as a fragrant liquid which is applied on the human body for smell and has a pleasant smell. The word is a recent one for this type of fragrance has been introduced recently in the 19th century and is an original English word. The main difference between this kind and others is the concentration of oil which is relatively small at about 2 to 4%. This is the reason that the fragrance does not last for a long time and is considered the lighter form of smells. They last for around one or two hours and are considered masculine scents which give a fruit or flower like smell. There are two layers of smell in it, in the first few minutes the main notes which are an actual smell, stay a prominent while for the last hour the base notes take over. This also depends on the person who is applying and their physical shape. This process is known as dry down period and consists of the body and the scent used which combine together to give a final smell. It is utilized for few hours and then has to be reapplied. Colognes were invented by Giovanni Maria Farina, who was an unknown monk in the 1790’s. Initially, this type was named “4711” after the street address of his store but later on changed to its original form. It is also considered to have originated from the German City, Cologne. This is available on the spray and splash form, and because of the less amount of oil present, the price for this is lower than others.
- The term perfume is defined as a fragrant liquid which is made up of several constituents which are usually made up of important oil extracts from flowers and spices. On the other hand, Cologne is defined as a fragrant liquid which is applied on the human body for smell and has a pleasant smell.
- Perfume has a high concentration of oil which is used in the making and is usually around 20-30-%. On the other hand, Cologne has the level of oil which is relatively small at about 2 to 4%.
- The term perfume originated from the Italian word parfumare which means to smoke something for a long time while Cologne is the city in Germany and original English word.
- The making of perfume started earlier in the 16th century while the production of cologne started later in the 1790’s.
- The perfume was launched by Crusaders who returned from the wars while Cologne was initiated by a monk with the name of Giovanni Maria Farina.
- Perfume is costlier than the other types and therefore is used for special occasions. Cologne is cheaper than the other forms and used for regular events.
- The fragrance of a perfume lasts for around 6-8 hours while the scent of cologne lasts for around 1-2 hours.
- Perfume is available in the spray form only while Cologne is available in the spray and splash form.