Cabinet minister and state minister are two designation attached with a parliamentary or federal form of democracy. General people understand both for the same purpose but the law students and the people who are familiar with political system better knows about the differences that exists between cabinet minister and state minister.
Cabinet minister designation is used in the Commonwealth countries like UK, Canada and some Asian countries. Cabinet minister is a high ranking official in a government system. Cabinet ministers comes from the ruling political party and consists upon its top leaders. Their duties are varied in different countries. In some countries they are involved in decision making process while in some countries they act as an advisory body for head of state or head of government. Most of the high level ministries regarding health, finance, education, petroleum, science and technology and so on are controlled by the cabinet ministers.
State minister is the next high ranking official after cabinet minister in a government hierarchy. His task and duties are less than cabinet minister. State minister worked under the charge of cabinet minister or independent ministry. Main duty of sate minister is to perform day to day function of ministry and report the same to superior authority on demand or after decided interval of time. In Asian countries, their roles are minor than cabinet minister but in British and American countries where there is state system, they enjoys the lot of power and authorities and represents the whole state.
- Cabinet minister is a high ranking official in a government system while state minister is the next high ranking official after cabinet minister in a government hierarchy.
- Cabinet minister holds main and important ministries as compare to state minister.
- In high level meeting of government officials cabinet ministers take part while state ministers are not allowed to participate in the meeting of cabinet ministers.
- Cabinet ministers comes from the ruling political party and consists upon its top leaders while state ministers mostly are from the ruling party and can be also from the public members of other political parties.
- Cabinet minister reports directly to head of state or head of government while state minister may reports to cabinet minister or independent ministry.