The basic difference between PS3 and PS4 is the media that these used. PS3 supports Blu-ray Disc, DVD, Compact Disc, PS and PS2 game disc, and Super Audio CD only. While PS4 supports only Blu-ray Disc and DVD.
PS3 or PlayStation 3 is a home video game console developed by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the part of PlayStation series and successor to PS2. It was launched to compete with Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Nintendo’s Wii. PS3 was released on November 11, 2006 in Japan and after that launched in international market. It is the seventh generation of Sony Computer Entertainment. Blu-ray Disc, DVD, Compact Disc, PS and PS2 game disc, and Super Audio CD.
PS4 or PlayStation 4 is also a home video game console that was also developed by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is the successor of PS3 that was launched on November 15, 2013. It competes with Nintendo’s Wii U and Microsoft’s Xbox One, as one of the eighth generation of video game consoles. The PS4 contains 4 features an AMD x86-64 Accelerated Processing Unit and replace the more complex Cell architecture of its predecessor. According to Sony, PS4 is the world’s most powerful console.
- First difference is about media supports. PS3 supports Blu-ray Disc, DVD, Compact Disc, PS and PS2 game disc, and Super Audio CD only. While PS4 supports only Blu-ray Disc and DVD.
- Operating system of PS3 is PlayStation 3 system software while PS4 operating system is PlayStation 4 system software, and FreeBSD 9.2.
- PS3 CPU is of 3.2 GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE & 7 SPEs while PS4 CPU is of semi-custom 8-core AND x86-64 Jaguar
- PSE memory is 256 MB system and 256 MB video. PS4 memory is 8 GB GDDR5 (unified) and 256 MB DDR3 RAM (for background tasks).
- In list of controller, PS3 has Sixaxis, DualShock 3, DualShock 4, Logitech Cordless Precision controller, standard USB controllers, GT Force, Rhythm game controllers, PlayStation Move, PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Remote Control, GunCon 3, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, Keyboard and Mouse. While PS4 controller list contains only DualShock 4, and PlayStation Move.